The GRE® revised General Test
It’s your future. Get where you want to
go with the GRE® revised General Test.
Whether you are planning to go to graduate school or business school — or just exploring your options — you are taking an important step toward your future. And, it is a smart move to show schools your best. With the GRE® revised General Test, you can!
That’s the Power of Confidence — only with the GRE revised General Test.
Get the Power of Confidence.
The GRE revised General Test gives you the Power of Confidence to help you do your best. With the GRE revised General Test, you decide which scores to send to schools. If you feel you didn’t do your best on test day, that’s okay. You can retake the test and then send ONLY the scores you want schools to see. It’s all part of the ScoreSelect® option, only available with GRE tests. Just knowing you have that option will help you feel more confident on test day. And, in general, studies show that when you feel less anxious, you are more likely to do better.
Plus, the GRE revised General Test is the only admissions test for graduate or business school that lets you skip questions within a section, go back and change answers and have control to tackle the questions within a section you want to answer first. That’s great news because research using other tests has shown that when you decide to change an answer, it might actually help you.
It all makes for a test-taker friendly experience that better fits your personal testing strategies while giving you more confidence and the ability to use your scores for thousands of graduate and business schools around the world. That’s why it’s a smart move to take the GRE revised General Test.
Get the Power of Confidence with the GRE revised General Test and let it take you where you want to go. Register today.
Only the GRE revised General Test:
- Gives you the ScoreSelect® option
- Features a test-taker friendly design
- Is accepted at thousands of graduate and business schools worldwide
- Costs less than other graduate admissions tests that measure the same skills
- Is administered at more than 850 test centers worldwide
Register now at takethegre.com/register.
What you need to know about the GRE revised General Test.
The GRE revised General Test measures your verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills — skills that are not related to a specific field of study, but are important for all. The test closely aligns with the types of skills that are required for success in today’s demanding graduate and business school programs.
In most regions of the world, the computer-delivered test is available on a continuous basis throughout the year. In Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea, the computer-delivered test is available one to three times per month. In areas of the world where computer-delivered testing is not available, the test is administered in a paper-delivered format up to three times a year in October, November and February. The computer-delivered GRE revised General Test is about 3 hours and 45 minutes, following the format below.
|Section||Section Length & Number of Questions||Question Types||Measures your ability to:||Score Scale|
||130–170, reported in one-point increments|
||130–170, reported in one-point increments|
||0–6, reported in half-point increments|
View information about the paper-delivered test.
¹ An unidentified unscored section that does not count toward a score may be included and may appear in any order after the Analytical Writing section.
² An identified research section may be included in place of the unscored section. The research section will always appear at the end of the test. Questions in this section are included for the purpose of ETS research and will not count toward your score.
Put your best scores forward with the ScoreSelect® option.
Test day is a big day. But what if, after seeing your scores at the test center, you feel you did not do your best? It’s okay — you do not have to send your scores. The ScoreSelect® option lets you decide – on test day or anytime up to five years – which of your scores to send to schools. This option gives you a lot of confidence from the start and can help you focus on doing your best. And it’s only available with the GRE revised General Test.
Here’s how it works:
Decide on Test Day:
When viewing your scores at the test center, you can choose not to send your scores at this time OR you can select either option below for each of your four FREE score reports:
- Most Recent option: Send your scores from your current test date.
- All option: Send your scores from all test dates in the last five years.
Decide After Test Day:
At any time, you can go online and send additional score reports for a fee and select from these options for each report you’d like to send:
- Most Recent option: Send your scores from your most recent test date.
- All option: Send your scores from all test dates in the last five years.
- Any option: Send your scores from one or as many test dates as you like from the last five years.
No matter which option you choose, you will select by specific test dates, so your scores are all from the same testing session. And the schools you designate will only see the scores you selected to send them. There will be no special indication if you have taken additional GRE tests. To learn more, go to ets.org/gre/scoreselect.
Use the test-taker friendly features to do your best.
The GRE revised General Test is the only admissions test for graduate or business school that lets you go through each section of the test in the way that is most comfortable for you. You can preview questions, skip and go back to more challenging questions — even change your answers if you decide later that your first choice was incorrect — all within a section. So, this test-taker friendly design allows you to decide how to approach each question and each section in a way that fits your personal test-taking strategies.
Only the GRE revised General Test lets you:
- Preview and review questions within a section.
- Tag questions with the “mark” and “review” features within a section, so you can skip and return to them later.
- Go back and change answers within a section.
- Use an on-screen calculator for the Quantitative Reasoning section.*
* For those taking the paper-delivered GRE revised General Test, calculators will be provided.
Get where you want to go with the most widely accepted test for graduate and business schools.
No matter what advanced degree you are considering, you will have more opportunities when you take the GRE revised General Test because it is accepted by both graduate and business schools worldwide.
- Thousands of schools all over the world accept GRE scores, including those in the U.S., the U.K., Canada, China, India, France, Germany and many other countries.
- Scores are used in admissions decisions for all types of master’s, M.B.A., specialized master’s in business, and doctoral programs as well as for awarding fellowships.
- Business schools around the world, including Harvard, IE, INSEAD, MIT Sloan, Stanford and Singapore Management University accept GRE scores for their M.B.A. programs.
Plus, scores are good for five years, so you can take the test now while you’re still deciding what to do.
Test-taker friendly experience, more confidence and the ability to use your scores for thousands of graduate and business schools worldwide. Make the smart move and register for the GRE revised General Test — and get to where you want to go.
Official test preparation materials and helpful tools — from the makers of the test.
Free official test preparation materials:
- POWERPREP® II Software — Want to see what the computer-delivered GRE revised General Test is really like? Download the only comprehensive test preparation that is as close to the actual test as you can get. Take two full-length practice tests and experience the new test design features first-hand. You can also review test-taking strategies, Analytical Writing scored sample essay responses and more.
- The Practice book for the Paper-based GRE® revised General Test — This helpful book for those taking the paper-delivered test gives you one full-length practice test as well as strategies, sample questions and more.
- Sample questions with correct answers so you can become familiar with the question types.
- Section reviews that offer general advice, sample questions with rationales, scoring guides and tips for answering question types to become familiar with each of the sections of the revised test.
- Strategies and tips to help you with each section of the test.
Additional materials available for purchase:
- The Official Guide to the GRE® revised General Test, Second Edition — This test prep book provides you with four practice tests (two in the book and two on the included POWERPREP II software CD), hundreds of authentic test questions, explanations for many answers, test-taking strategies, sample essay responses with reader commentary and more. Available in print and ebook formats.
- NEW! Official GRE® Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions, Volume One — Get ready with 150 REAL GRE® Verbal Reasoning questions — direct from the test maker! This guide provides 150 never-before-published verbal reasoning questions with complete explanations and valuable hints and tips. This guide also includes new practice for the GRE Analytical Writing measure. Available in print and ebook formats.
- NEW! Official GRE® Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions, Volume One — Get ready with 150 REAL GRE® Quantitative Reasoning questions — direct from the test maker! This guide provides 150 never-before-published quantitative reasoning questions with complete explanations and valuable hints and tips. This guide also includes a review of the math topics you need to know for the test. Available in print and ebook formats.
- The Official GRE® Guide Mobile App — It’s the only GRE mobile app direct from the test maker. Featuring authentic test questions with answers and explanations, plus more from The Official Guide to the GRE® revised General Test, 2nd Edition, this app lets you bring the test experts with you wherever you go!
- GRE® Success Starter Video Series — Doing your best on the GRE revised General Test just got easier with these expert overviews designed to jumpstart your test prep. These short videos give you a solid review of the three test measures, a helpful tour of the test-taker friendly design features, valuable test-taking tips and strategies and so much more.
- ScoreItNow!™ Online Writing Practice — This service lets you sharpen your writing skills as you prepare for the Analytical Writing section of the GRE revised General Test. Even better, you’ll receive an immediate, confidential score to see how well you performed.
You can register online for the GRE revised General Test using a credit card. You also can register for the computer-delivered GRE revised General Test by phone, or mail, and you can register for the paper-delivered GRE revised General Test by mail. View fee information for the GRE revised General Test and related services.
And, to help you stand out.
GRE® Search Service: Help schools find you.
Add your unique profile to the free GRE® Search Service database. Graduate and business school recruiters around the world use this database to find prospective students like you. If you match their recruitment profile, you could receive information about their programs, admissions requirements — even scholarships and fellowships to help pay tuition. Learn more.
Stay connected for the latest information.
Connect with other test takers worldwide on our official GRE page on Facebook®.
Sign up for free “Top Test Tips” guide and other helpful emails direct from the maker of the test.
For further information about the GRE revised General Test and services, please visit our official website.